How to Archive All Old Emails in Gmail – Challenge Solved
Gmail is one of the most widely used cloud-based email services, with more than one billion monthly active users. If you are also a Gmail user and using this account for a long time then, your Gmail inbox certainly becomes cluttered with old emails. Now, this is the time to start with a clean state. Gmail provides an archive tool to remove all the emails from inbox folder and send them into another folder. Archiving emails does not delete them, it simply moves them out of the inbox folder and shifts them to a separate folder for safe keeping.
If you delete any email, intentionally or accidentally, this will be kept in the trash folder for next 30 days and after that, you will lose it permanently. Thus, it is substantially more secure to archive your emails instead of deleting them. Also, if you exceed the maximum storage limit of Gmail account then, Google will stop your email incoming service. Thus, it is better to archive old emails of Gmail account. However, there are several users who do not know that how to archive all old emails in Gmail? Consequently, to answer this question, we have come up with this problem tackling blog. Here, we will discuss some easy and cost-efficient workarounds for same.
Advantages of Archiving Old Emails in Gmail
To understand the benefits of archiving emails, you are required to know that what it exactly does, and how it impacts on your Gmail account.
- Archived emails are not deleted automatically: The Archive resembles a vault. While trashed messages are automatically deleted after 30 days, the archived emails will remain in your Gmail until you manually delete them.
- Archived emails are searchable: Gmail has a powerful search engine. When a user searches for anything, the archived emails are a part of that. If you are required to specifically exclude them and want to search only within your inbox then, type “in:inbox” (without quotes) before searching any term.
- Archived emails work with specific labels: Users are allowed to add a label to an email and archive it and after that, the label will stay. If you will click on the label to see all emails tagged with it, the archived emails also will appear. Let’s Continue the topic how to archive all old emails in Gmail.
How to archive all old emails in Gmail – Different Techniques
As there are several Gmail users so, it is obvious that they all have different archive needs. For instance, some users want to archive all emails, some want to archive a single email and some also may want to archive the emails of a particular email address. Even some might be looking for a solution for how to archive emails in gmail by date in bulk and save it locally. Thus, to fulfill all the email archiving needs, we are going to describe different methods to archive emails in Gmail app.
#1: Archive all Emails in Gmail Account
- Login to your Gmail account
- Choose all the emails that you want to archive
- Click on Archive option in the top menu
#2: Archive Single Email in Gmail Account
- Open your Gmail account
- Select and open the email you need to archive
- Click on the Archive button
# 3: Archive Emails of a Specific Email Address
If you need to archive all old emails in Gmail of a particular email address or the email that contain some specific word combination then, follow below-mentioned guidelines:
- Launch Gmail account
- Open the email address that meets your conditions and hit the More button
- Then, select Filter messages like these option
- To apply the filter for matching conversation, click on Create Filter and select Also apply the filter to matching conversations
- Eventually, click on Create Filter button to save the archive settings
#4: Archive Emails Automatically After Sending
- Open Gmail account, click on Gear icon and select Settings
- Navigate to Send and Archive section and enable Show “Send & Archive” option in reply alternative
- To apply the done setting, click on Save Changes
- After this, whenever you will send a new email, it will automatically be archived after sending
How to Find Archived Old Mail in Gmail Account
To you want to extract the Gmail emails you have been archived before then, go with below-mentioned guidelines:
- In Gmail account, click on More option
- Select All Mails menu and here choose all the emails you want to retrieve
- After that, click on Move to Inbox button
Problem User Faces While Archiving Gmail Messages
Archived emails count as storage space: Deleted emails do not count towards the total Gmail storage space. While Archived emails keep on counting because they are still a part of the Gmail.
Apart from this, there are various demerits of Gmail Archive. Such as:
- Hangout messages will not archive.
- No Possibility to archive Gmail emails within a certain date range.
- No such option to archive and save all old archived emails to Local System or External drive.
- Restoring archived Messages become harder as you have to find them manually in the long list of All Mail or by using the search button.
Professional Way to Archive All Emails in Gmail Account
Archiving the emails of Gmail account manually, it not an appropriate and safe way. Thus, we have come up with an eminent utility i.e., SysTools Gmail Backup Tool. It provides the facility to maintain the backup of email data on all old emails in Gmail are archived. With the help of this software, users can archive whole data items of Gmail account like Emails along with the Attachments, Calendars, Contacts, and Documents and Delete after Download gives the user an option to delete all archived emails from Gmail. Archive Gmail data into various file formats i.e. PST, MBOX, MSG, EML, EMLX and can easily be installed on both Mac OS and Windows OS.
In this article, we introduced users with some eminent solutions to archive emails in Gmail. All users who are searching the solution for how to archive all old emails in Gmail now can opt any above-mentioned method according to necessity. The blog comprises manual as well as automatic solution and we recommend users to choose the most secure way to archive Gmail emails.