How to Split Outlook Data Files into Smaller Parts – Ultimate Ways
Facing issue with large PST File? How to split large PST file to creating multiple PST Files In Outlook 2003/2007/2010/2013? Is there any Microsoft PST Splitter Tool Available? How do I archive emails in Outlook
Top Reasons to Split Outlook Data Files into Smaller Parts
- You may be facing issues due to Large PST file. Outlook performance downgrades, Hangs while working sometimes even crash. This could result in corruption when the outlook file extends or become oversized.
- Due to Corruption In Outlook data file, there may be the loss of Outlook messages, emails, attachments and other mailbox data. To prevent such situation you must choose an option to split large PST file into multiple small PST files in Outlook.
- No matter you are using either Outlook 2016 or Outlook version 2013 or other versions 2010 / 2007 /2003 / 2002 splitting up large PST files is a cure to keep corruption away.
Quick Solution: SysTools PST Splitter to Split PST Files into Smaller Parts in Outlook 2000/ 2002/2003/2007/2010/2013. Below we will discuss steps to split PST file with SysTools Microsoft PST Splitter.
Quick Overview of Microsoft Outlook PST File
Within PST file all emails, contacts, tasks and other mailbox items are stored. This PST file also known as Personal Storage File or Outlook data file. When talking about Outlook 2002 and its previous versions uses ANSI PST file to store the data. This ANSI in Outlook was unable to store data more than 2GB, or you can say limited to 2 GB. Later on, in Outlook version 2003 and other updated version Unicode format is used.
In Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 storage space provided was 20 GB and Further in Outlook 2010/2013/ 2016 storage space increased to 50 GB. If an ANSI format crosses 2 GB limit, it becomes prone to corruption. In Unicode file format chances of corruption is bit lower but storing large file may downgrade the performance of Outlook, or client faces hanging issue. This can also result in corruption in Unicode PST files. To avoid such situation option remains to split Outlook data files into multiple small PST file by splitting Outlook data files.
Different Approaches to Split Outlook Data Files into Smaller Parts
- First one is using Manual Method.
- Second is Time Saver “SysTools PST Splitter”
3 Ultimate Ways to Split Outlook PST Files into Smaller Parts
There is no inbuilt tool or utility available within Microsoft Outlook that helps in splitting up large PST file or break PST into multiple small sizes. Yet, it may be possible manually by using Archive feature or using the Import-Export feature or Move to Folder feature to move whole Mailbox item one after another. Basically, these don’t split PST file, yet you can move mailbox content. Let’s go with these manual approaches.
Method 1: Archive feature to split PST file in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007
Using this ‘How to Split Archive PST File’ can be resolved. Follow below steps to Archive Outlook data file:
- Open Outlook >> Select PST File >> Click File tab >> Info
- Next GOTO Cleanup Tools >> Scroll Down and Select Archive
- In Archive Window Choose ‘Archive this folder and all subfolders:’
- Select File or Folder >> Choose Date in ‘Archive items older than ’
- Browse Location to save PST file After Splitting >> Click ‘OK’
Method 2: Import & Export feature for Splitting Up PST file
- Open Outlook >> Create New Outlook Data file
- Now to Import in the newly created file:
- Click File tab >> Open >> Import.
- In Import and Export Wizard
- Select ‘Export to File’ >> Click ‘Next’
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) >> Click ‘Next’
- Choose File & Folder Item >> Click ‘Next’
- ‘Browse’ Location >> Click ‘OK’
- Go through Options and Choose One >> Click Finish
Method 3: Move to Folder Features in Outlook
- Open Outlook >> Click New Items >> More Items >> Outlook Data files
- In Create or Open Outlook Data File window
- Give a name >> Click ‘OK’
- Newly created Outlook data File can be seen
- Now click the Move tab >> Click ‘Copy to Folder’
- In Copy Items window Select Outlook data File >> Click ‘OK’
The Process will take few minutes to complete depending on the size of the file. Above method generally, not splits the PST file but can be useful tricks to move PST file in case data is less.
Limitation of Manual Solution to Split Outlook PST Files into Small PST Files
Above methods to Split PST file in Outlook 2003/2007/2010/2013 or Outlook 2016 can only be used when Data is less. Other demerits are discussed below:
- Sometimes even Fails and Much time-consuming in case there is a large amount of database. Can take even more than hours to split if there are large Emails and other mailbox items present.
- A slighter mistake while using Manual method may corrupt file. That’s why to be careful.
- Though all steps are mention here a new user might slightly get irritated.
- It’s not so easy to perform for the one started newly.
- Instant splitting up PST file in Outlook Data is not Possible.
- Single click Option not available. Results in wastage of lots of time.
Above is the most common limitation of using the manual approach which might irritate you. In case you want the best reliable solution that helps you to split a single PST file in Multiple PST. Here, we came the solution ‘SysTools Microsoft PST Splitter’ a single click solution to split any size of PST file within few seconds.
Professional Solution to Divide Outlook PST Files into Smaller Parts
- Perform splitting on newly created PST file & Archive PST File
- Inbuilt Option to split: Emails/Contacts/Tasks & Other Items
- Split UNICODE and ANSI PST file of any size.
- Split Outlook PST File to multiple small PST as Date, Size, Year or Folder
- Supports Outlook Version 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 & 2016
- In case of Corruption, First, fix and then Splits PST files.
Following Steps will help you, split large Outlook PST file into smaller PST files that can be managed successfully:
Step 1: Download and Run SysTools PST File Splitter to Create multiple PST files in Outlook
Step 2: Click on the “Split” button as shown below:
Step 3: Select the version of the PST file Choose the second option in case Outlook 2013/2016. Also, Select one of the option to filter.
Step 4: After Choosing a location to save, “Specify the size” of PST files will be split.
Step 5: Click on “Next” Button, after filling.
Step 6: View Summary, Now Click on the “Split” Button.
Step 7: As splitting up of PST files completes, In Dialogue box Click “Ok”
Above we have discussed ‘How To Split Outlook PST Files in Outlook 2003/2007/2010/2013/ 2016’ with both Manual method and PST splitter Tool. As per their suitability, you can choose a reliable solution for you.