I always used this tip under Windows 7 and lucky it still works on Windows 8. I never understood why I have to click on start to shutdown my pc. As I’m most of my time working on a laptop, I care a lot about my battery and therefore (beside using the right browser) I turn my pc off when I’m not using it. And to save myself some time, I have added the shutdown option to my desktop. Let’s learn how I did that and show you How to Make a Shutdown Shortcut
How to Make a Shutdown Shortcut
- right-click on your desktop and select New->Shortcut
- Make the location ‘shutdown-s-t 0’
- Give the shortcut any name you like and press done
- Right-click on the new shortcut and select any icon you like
- Again, right-click on the shortcut and select ‘Pin to start’. There you go!
List of other commands you can use
Using exactly the same methode as before, you can also create buttons for Restarting, Hibernating or to Logoff.
shutdown -r — restarts shutdown -s — shutsdown shutdown -l — logoff shutdown -t xx — where xx is number of seconds to wait till shutdown/restart/logoff shutdown -i — gives you a dialog box to fill in what function you want to use shutdown -a — aborts the previous shutdown command....very handy!