How to Delete Unnecessary Files on Your Windows 10
Like our other machines computers also require regular cleaning and maintenance. We often collect files on our hard disk and then forget to delete them when they are not required or the purpose is solved and because of this sometimes we find ourselves in a big trouble when we see a warning message of insufficient disk space. Sometimes when we urgently required to copy some files to the compute and then we get to know that there is no enough space. It is really difficult to decide that what files we should delete at the moment. So, to be on the safer side it is a good idea to keep deleting unnecessary files time to time from your windows computer. In this article, we will discuss about some methods which can help you to delete unnecessary files quickly and without compromising files which you actually do not want to delete.
Using Disk clean up wizard:
Windows has inbuilt utility to remove non-required files which is disk clean up wizard here is how it works.
- To access disk clean up wizard type disk clean up in the search box of start menu. You will see disk clean up wizard now open it.
- Choose a drive for which you want to run disk clean up and click actually
- You will see an option to choose what all files you want to clean. Choose from the type of files you want to click and click Ok
- You will see a warning message saying, “Are you sure you want to permanently delete these files” click “Delete Files” to proceed further.
- After a couple of minutes junk files which are unnecessarily there on your hard disk will be cleaned.
Most often you have junk files on the drive having operating system so if you see a message saying not enough disk space on drive c: then it is a good idea to run disk clean up on this drive.
Clearing browser history and cache:
If you are a heavy internet users and keep multiple browsers installed on your computer then you should also clear browsing history and temporary files from all your browsers time to time.
Here is how you can clear browsing history and cache from some commonly used web browsers.
- Open your Web browser and press Ctrl+Shift+Delete on your keyboard. Straight away you will be navigated to the screen from where you can clear your browsing history and cache. This command works on Microsoft edge browser, Google chrome, Mozilla Firefox and other commonly used browsers.
- Choose a time for which you want to clear history tough it is best to clear it from the beginning time.
- Click on clear or Ok depending on your web browser.
After few Seconds/ Minutes your browsing history will be cleared. It not only helps in sparing some space on the hard disk but it also helps in enhancing your web browsing experience.
Cleaning downloads folder:
Sometimes we download some files for one time use and then we forget to delete them they only take space on your disk because you have downloaded them to use only once so they are unnecessary files. It is a good idea to check your downloads folder first of all whenever you are required to free up the disk space immediately. You will find a lot to delete because probably there will be some files which you have copied to some other location and some files are those which are no more required to you.
Deleting duplicate files:
When we download the same attachment multiple times or Copy a single file to multiple locations it brings us into a massive situation. Because we have multiple copies of the same file which are taking the space unnecessarily. To clear such files, it is a better idea to use duplicate files remover application because it quickly finds of the duplicates on your computer even if they are saved with different names and helps you to clear them in just a couple of minutes. But still if you want to go by the manual process to clear duplicate files then you should sort files by name then check for duplicates by previewing or opening files. If you are using the same computer from a long time then you will be surprised to see the number of duplicates and the amount of space they are taking on your hard disk.
This is how you can get rid of unnecessary files on your Windows 10 computer. Clearing these files gives you more space to save new files and boost the performance of your computer as well.