If you are receiving the following message; “MMC cannot open the file virtmgmt.msc” in Windows 10 then there are a few options you can try, follow these solutions to try to get rid of this problem. While we havent seen this error a lot on the online communities there are a few people reporting them.
MMC cannot open the file virtmgmt.msc. This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.
Method 1: Turn on Hyper-V on Windows
virtmgmt is part of the Hyper-V package in Windows 10. Hyper-V allows you to virtualize desktops on your Windows 10 device. They are so-called “Virtual Machines”. While you might not use this it could be used by a program that is missing this file and therefore causing this error. Let’s turn on Hyper-V in Windows 10. You can find a detailed guide here.
- Open start and type program and features then choose Apps en Features
- Scroll down till you see Program and Features
- Then on the left click on “Turn Windows features on / off”
- Scroll till you find Hyper-V and check the box, then choose OK and reboot your device.
If this didn’t work then try Method 2.
Method 2: Run the Windows System File’s Checker.
The next thing you can try is to run the Windows System File Checker also called SFC. You can read a detailed guide on how to do that here
- Right-click the Windows start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
- Type sfc /scannow and then hit enter
This scan can take several minutes to hours dependinng on your computer it’s performance. Give it it’s time and let it restore any damanged files.
We hope one of these two methods helped. If not feel free to comment down below and we will try to help you further.