FIX: The drive where windows is installed is locked
Accessing the Windows RE Command Prompt
1. Boot into the Advanced Startup Settings (How to reach the Advanced Startup Settings)
2. Now choose Troubleshoot
3. Now choose Advanced Options
4. Now choose Command Prompt
5. Choose your operating system and login with an Administrator account.
Windows RE: Command Prompt
You’ve now reached the Command Prompt of Windows RE (black screen with white text). Please follow all steps carefully.
1. Type the following command and hit enter. Wait for this process to complete:
chkdsk /f /v /r /b /offlinescanandfix c:
2. Once the process has completed, reboot your device and try to see if the message no longer appears when refreshing, resetting or when installing Windows.
I still receive “The drive where windows is installed is locked”
Then the issue was not with your hard drive but with some bootrec settings. Let’s try to rebuild the bootrec and see if the problems now disappear.
1. Boot back into the Windows RE (Advanced Startup Settings) and go to Command Prompt again.
2. Once in Command Prompt, execute the following commands, hit enter after each command.
3. Now reboot your device and see if the problem no longer appears. If the problem still appears then please visit WindowsQ on WindowsInstructed or leave a comment and we’ll try our best to help you further.