How to Install Adblock in Microsoft Edge
How to Install an Adblocker in Microsoft Edge in a question many people are asking. We here on WindowsInstructed do not like Adblockers and try to place our ads on places so that it does not annoy our visitors, however, we can understand why you would want an adblocker if we look at some sites…
At this moment, Microsoft Edge does not support third-party plugins that would allow you to install an Adblocker like you do for example in Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Microsoft has said that they are working on adding extensions in Microsoft Edge that would allow developers to create extensions like they do for Google Chrome. However at this moment, it simply not supports it.
So can you block Advertisements in Microsoft Edge? Yes, you can. You can edit your Hosts file and add a list of known Advertisements servers in it, which will effectively block advertisements.
You can find the full list of all servers here on MVPS.org.
How do you add those servers to your host file?
1. First of all, go to the following location on your computer: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
2. Once there, right-click hosts then click on Open With and choose Notepad
3. Simply add the content from the website link given above to the hosts file. Like shown in the image below
4. Now click on File and then Save As and save the file to your desktop, be sure to choose All Files and do not add a file extension as shown in the image below.
5. In some cases the file extension will be added anyway by Windows, be sure to remove it so the file is just Hosts. If you can’t edit the .txt part then make sure File Extensions are always shown.
6. Copy and paste the new Hosts file in your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder. Windows will ask for Administrator Permission if you have UAC enabled, simply click on Continue and wait for the file to be replaced.
7. Reboot your system.
All your browsers, apps, and another programs will now longer show advertisements from sources which have been added in the hosts list. The reason for this is a bit complex and we will not going in on it in this tutorial. We hope this alternative method helped you on answering your question: “How to Install Adblock in Microsoft Edge”. If you have any more questions then please do feel free to ask them on our forums where we will be more than glad to help you.