CrossRider is malware that may have been installed on you computer as part of an innocent looking freeware or shareware application, or even bundled with a commercial application downloaded from a respectable looking website. CrossRider commonly causes web browser issues such as popups , redirections, and addons to act strangely. It has also been responsible for computer crashes and high resource usage. CrossRider starts with Windows and connects to the internet.
This infection is also known as:
- Name: CrossRider Web Apps
- Name: Adware. Agent
- Name: Adware.Mikey
[/symple_box] [symple_box color=”green” fade_in=”false” float=”center” text_align=”left” width=””] If you see any system warning popups whilst using any of the tools below you can safely allow them all.
Uninstall it from Programs and Features
The most important thing at this moment is to remove the root files from your system, so that the program cannot re-install itself or keep reactivating itself.
1. Open the Control Panel
1) Open Start and search for Control Panel or Right-click the Start button and choose Control Panel
2. Now go to Programs
3. Now click on Uninstall a program
4. Find CrossRider Web Apps and right-click it, then choose “Uninstall”, do not be concerned at this stage if the application is not listed.
Once the removal is completed, or if the malware is not listed, continue to the next step.
Run Adwcleaner to remove CrossRider
AdwCleaner is a tool made by Xplode and is a free removal tool for Adware, PUPs, Toolbars and Hijackers.
1. Download Adwcleaner from toolslib here: Download ADWCleaner
2. Run the downloaded program as Administrator
3. Now click on Scan, a scan will be started on your system, depending on your system its performance this can take several minutes to complete.
4. After the scan has completed, click on the Cleaning button, first make sure it’s not deleting vital files, by viewing all the tabs.
5. Now, wait for the process to complete, a request to reboot will display, reboot and then continue to the next step.
Run MalwareBytes to get rid of CrossRider
To make sure all the infections are really gone now, we are going to run a MalwareBytes scan and remove any remaining infections and infections you might have that you don’t know about yet.
1. Download MalwareBytes from the original website
2. Install the MalwareBytes and then, if it asks, update the program.
3. After the program is installed and updated if necessary, run a scan by clicking on Scan Now
4. Wait for the scan to complete, depending on your system it’s performance this can take several minutes to hours.
5. Remove the infections from your system by after the steps given by MalwareBytes and then reboot your system.
The infection should now have been removed from your system, if it has not then please run MalwareBytes again, or ask for help.
Remove CrossRider from browsers, with Junkware Removal Tool.
1. Download Junkware-RemovalTool Save it to your desktop. Right Click the icon, select Run as Administrator.
2. To begin the scan Click any button.
3. Allow the scan to complete, it may take up ten minutes to complete.
Once complete a log will appear on your desktop, detailing what was removed.
Remove CrossRider from Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer, with Adware Removal Tool.
1. Download Adware removal tool to your desktop, right-click the program and select Run as Administrator.
2. Click the Scan button, allow the scan to complete, this could take some time depending on your computer’s performance.
3. Hit OK.
4. Hit next making sure to leave all items ticked, for removal.
5. The Program will close all open programs to complete the removal, so save any work and hit OK. Then hit OK after the removal process is complete then OK again to finish up.
Remove the CrossRider leftovers with ESET Online Scanner
Now lets move onto the ESET online Scanner. Temporarily disable your Anti-Virus.
1. Click Here to download the scanner, and save it to your desktop.
2. Right-Click the download program, on your desktop and click Run as Administrator.
3. Tick the box to accept the terms (if you Accept the terms of course), then click Start.
4. Make sure all the settings are the same as the picture below.
5. This scan can take a long time, be patient it is normal.
6. Make sure to tick uninstall application on close, also delete quarantined files.
Remove CrossRider from your browsers.
At this point you may need to reset your browsers to default settings, to make sure all traces of the infection is gone.
What we have to do now is cleanup the tools used in the malware removal process, and also remove any System Restore Points so the infection can’t accidentally find its way back onto your system. Fortunately there’s another tool that can do this for us, go here and Download Delfix. Suggest you save it to your desktop, then right click it, select “run as administrator” and select the options shown below, and click “run”.
After it’s finished you can delete Delfix from your desktop.
To Prevent this type of infection happening again, I suggest you download and install Unchecky. This software will prevent unwanted software, being installed by you unknowingly.
Your computer should now be free, of the CrossRider infection.