In this tutorial I will explain how to open Powershell in Windows 10. Powershell is most commonly used by IT Pro´s but is sometimes used by consumers to restore system functionality or to reset certain things. For example our Windows Store Fix guide uses Powershell to fix the Windows Store. Enough about that, let´s get to it.
1. Make sure Powershell is Enabled
Make sure you have Powershell enabled in Windows 10. By default Powershell in Windows 10 should be active but in some cases it might be disabled or you might have disabled it before, and just don’t remember. You can enable Powershell trough the Windows Features options. Read this guide on how to enable Windows Features in Windows 10
After you checked that Powershell is active, or when you have activated it, you can continue with the next step, opening Powershell
2. Starting PowerShell
Powershell can be started trough quite many ways, we show you the some common ways below.
2.1 Using Cortana Search Bar
The Cortana search bar is a handy tool for starting most applications in Windows 10, simply follow these steps:
1. Type Powershell in the cortana search box
2. Click on Windows Powershell (Run Command)
2.2 Using Command Prompt
1. Open a new Command Prompt Window as Administrator or start a new Command Prompt Window as Normal user if you want to run PowerShell in User Mode.
2. Type the following text in the console, without the qoutes: “POWERSHELL” and hit enter
3. Powershell will now appear, this can take some seconds, just wait.
2.3 Using the Keyboard shortcut
Another quite easy way to open Powershell is by using the Keyboard shortcuts:
For User Mode: Windows + X + I
For Admin Mode: Windows + X + A
2.4 Using the Run Window
This does basicly the same as the Cortana search bar, however some people like this method.
1. Press the Windows + R key at the same time
2. In the Run window type the following text, without the qoutes: “powershell” and hit enter
3.Powershell will now appear, this can take some seconds, just wait.
I hope this tutorial helped you starting Powershell in Windows 10. If you need more help feel free to visit our forums where we can give personal help for your problems.