In this tutorial we will explain How to Prevent Driver Updates through Windows Update in Windows 10 and Windows 8. Driver updates can sometimes be the reason that your system becomes unstable or you simply don´t want Windows Update to download the updates because you want to do it yourself. Some common reasons for disabling Driver Updates through Windows Updates are±
- Newer drivers are causing issues with your system
- You want to use the original driver instead of the driver Windows provides you
- You want to see if the old driver works better.
- You got a newer driver then Windows provides.
There are many more situations, but those are the most common ones. We will explain how you can disable the automatic download of drivers in Windows 8 and Windows 10.
Anyhow in this tutorial we explain How to Prevent Driver Updates through Windows Update[symple_box color=”yellow” fade_in=”false” float=”center” text_align=”left” width=””] You need to be signed into an account with Administrator rights to change system settings.
[/symple_box] [symple_box color=”blue” fade_in=”false” float=”center” text_align=”left” width=””] The screenshot and video instruction has been shot within Windows 10 (tech preview), however the steps are same in Windows 8.
Disable Automatic Device Driver Download
1. Open File Explorer and go to This PC.
2. Then click on System Properties
3. Under the Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings group, click on Change settings.
4. Click on the Hardware tab.
5. Under the the Device Installation Settings group, click on Device Installation Settings
6. Now click on No, Let me choose what to do, then select Never Install Drivers from Windows Update.
7. Click on Save Settings, a system reboot is then necessary for the changes to take effect.
To enable the automatic download again, just repeat steps 1 trough 5 and then choose Yes, do this automatically
We hope you were able to disable automatic driver updates.