When you upgraded from an older version of Windows to Windows 10 there will be a folder created named Windows.old. This folder contains your old operating system and allows you to go back to your previous Windows version. This folder uses quite a lot of space on your system and If you want to get rid of it then this guide will help you remove it. Let’s get going!
How to Remove the Windows.old Folder?
1. Type Disk Cleanup in the Cortana Search Bar, then click or tap on Disk Cleanup. (or press the Windows + R keys at the same time, then in the Run window type ” cleanmgr.exe ” and hit enter)
2. Select the drive you want to scan. In this case you should select the drive where Windows is installed on. You can recognize that drive by the little Windows flag in the icon.
3. Wait for the scan to finish. This can take a couple of seconds to minutes.
4. Once the scan has finished click on the Clean Up System Files button
5. Once again select the drive you want to scan.
6. Wait for the scan to finish. This can take a couple of seconds to minutes.
7. After the scan has completed, scroll through the list and choose the box “Previous Windows Installation(s)”
After following these steps the Windows 8 or Widows 7 folder should be gone from your system. If you need more help then feel free to visit our forums where we will help you for free with any problem you have related to Windows.